BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amber information please

Go down

Amber information please Empty Amber information please

Post by Michelle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:23 pm

I will like to make a new leather bracelet with amber on. I wear this bracelet all the time so it will get wet. Dose any one now if the amber will break or it will be dulled?

Michelle
Troll Guru

Posts : 4895
Join date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by flowertroll on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I have no idea... just a thought: as amber is found along the shore, I suppose short contact with clear water (not mixed with soap or chemicals of course) wouldn't cause any damage. But again, I'm not sure if that's correct.
flowertroll
flowertroll
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Posts : 473
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by aprilshack on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:25 pm

@Michelle wrote:I will like to make a new leather bracelet with amber on. I wear this bracelet all the time so it will get wet. Dose any one now if the amber will break or it will be dulled?

I'm worried about your leather getting wet! You will weaken the leather over time, increasing the risk of it snapping & the amber bead falling off!
aprilshack
aprilshack
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Posts : 725
Join date : 2012-08-14
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by splinty on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Best to dry amber off straight away if you get it wet, it can turn cloudy if you leave it to air dry Smile
splinty
splinty
Admin

Posts : 3852
Join date : 2011-01-12
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by Michelle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Thank You. My other leather bracelet it is like hard metal now I wear for 2 years or more allways I dont think it is to break so easy. The amber will be washed with soap also in the shower and then I can dry it. I think I will take photos to see how it is altering. If it dont break all is ok. Smile

Michelle
Troll Guru

Posts : 4895
Join date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by Brightonbelle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Why can't you take it off before you shower? confused
Brightonbelle
Brightonbelle
Beadaddict

Posts : 11405
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by AquaAura on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Advice from amberregina on the Internet

Keep amber jewelry away from direct light and heating;

Store it separately from any other jewelry in a box or cloth pouch as amber can get scratches. This also helps prevent silver settings from tarnishing;

Avoid contacts with metals;

Use warm water and a soft flannel cloth to gently wipe dirt and smudges from amber settings. Never use soaps, detergents, or ultrasonic cleaners!

Rub the amber gently with olive oil to restore lustre and use a soft cloth to remove excess oil;

Do not expose amber to extreme temperatures or widely fluctuating temperatures, as the amber may crack;

Apply cosmetics, perfume, and hairspray BEFORE putting on your amber jewelry; frequent exposure to chemicals can ruin the finish of your amber permanently;

Take all amber jewelry off before taking shower;

If silver tarnish, use a polishing cloth to polish it. Never use liquid jewelry cleaners or sprays!
AquaAura
AquaAura
Trolldiva

Posts : 1698
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Surrey/London, England

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by Michelle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 pm

@Brightonbelle wrote:Why can't you take it off before you shower? confused

I wear it on all the time. I dont bother with taking off and on it is hard to fit on.

Michelle
Troll Guru

Posts : 4895
Join date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by Michelle on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank You Aqua Aura.
Still I am going to wear this 2 beads and see what will happen. I hope they will be intresting still in used way not in a broken way. I want to now what will happen if no one has done this. bounce

Michelle
Troll Guru

Posts : 4895
Join date : 2011-01-14

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by splinty on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 pm

You're such a rebel Michelle, hope you use ph balanced shower gel Laughing
Don't risk it with any prized irreplaceable ambers, I'm not sure they'll like a regular soaking Ouch
splinty
splinty
Admin

Posts : 3852
Join date : 2011-01-12
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by aprilshack on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:41 am

@AquaAura wrote:Advice from amberregina on the Internet

Keep amber jewelry away from direct light and heating;

Store it separately from any other jewelry in a box or cloth pouch as amber can get scratches. This also helps prevent silver settings from tarnishing;

Avoid contacts with metals;

Use warm water and a soft flannel cloth to gently wipe dirt and smudges from amber settings. Never use soaps, detergents, or ultrasonic cleaners!

Rub the amber gently with olive oil to restore lustre and use a soft cloth to remove excess oil;

Do not expose amber to extreme temperatures or widely fluctuating temperatures, as the amber may crack;

Apply cosmetics, perfume, and hairspray BEFORE putting on your amber jewelry; frequent exposure to chemicals can ruin the finish of your amber permanently;

Take all amber jewelry off before taking shower;

If silver tarnish, use a polishing cloth to polish it. Never use liquid jewelry cleaners or sprays!


Olive oil! Never knew that!
aprilshack
aprilshack
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Posts : 725
Join date : 2012-08-14
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by natasja on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 am

if you let your jeweler make rings on all tree sides it will be much easyer to take off en put on
I would never take a shower with a leather bracelet, it becomes hard en cracky
soap is defenitly not a good idee for ambers and leather
amber is quitte soft, so be carefull with scratsching them

natasja
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Posts : 222
Join date : 2011-04-02

Back to top Go down

Amber information please Empty Re: Amber information please

Post by bubbagump on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 am

Nice thread
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum